Saturday, January 08, 2005

 

What is the IM Phantom?

The IM phantom lives inside of me.

The IM phantom first visited me when I was sitting at the lunch table at my cafeteria at work with a group of coworkers.

Who was there? Several people. Probably Shannon, Al, Jon, and I think Paul, maybe Adam. These are some of my coworkers who I eat lunch with.

So the IM phantom struck me as I sat there and heard someone make a comment to which I immediately had a cruel thought that I did not say for fear of hurting feelings. A thought I would normally have IMed to someone.

So I actually made a reach for my keyboard though I was eating in the cafeteria and far from my desk. I reached to type and then wished that I could make an instant message appear before the face of a coworker who would find cruel humor satisfaction in my comment.

I sat there as the cruel thought's moment of relevance faded with the passing of time. And that was when I was first visited by the IM phantom.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?